- 1 cup yellow Toor dal
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- Salt to taste
- small onion diced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green chillis, slit in halves
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 2 dry red chillis
- 1 tomato, diced
- One pinch asafoetida (hing) powder
- Rinse toor dal; soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat dal and water with salt until boiling. Reduce heat to medium and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until
- tender and thickened. Add more water, if necessary, to prevent drying out.
- To the cooked dal, add ginger, chilli, tomato and turmeric. Continue simmering.
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat and add cumin seeds,dry chillis, onion, asafoetida and garlic; stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir mixture into dal and add coriander; mix well.